Monday, June 11, 2012

Week 3 of being a real missionary

From: Kristen Owens <kristen.owens@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Hola Familia,

So this week was pretty incredible.  It's been pretty hard to find new investigators to teach, but Sister Randall has been amazing at being diligent and obedient.  We've met with a lot of members and less active members and have been tracting a lot.  But, several things happened this week.  For the first time on my mission while tracting, someone asked us to come back! Dun Dun DUUUUN. I was pretty much in shock on the doorstep haha But, we are going back this week to teach them so pray for that will ya? We also went to an appointment and got there a few minutes early so we got out of the car and started talking with this man.  He is from Ukraine and speaks Russian and Ukrainian so we offered to teach him english and we set up an appointment to come back to meet him and his wife. He was a sweet old man :)

I have been called to serve in Minnesota, but boy do I feel like I'm in a different country every day.  It is so diverse here! We meet so many people from Africa, Russia, Europe, etc. it's really fun.  Here is the miracle of the week/probably my whole mission:
Sister Randall and I were going to a dinner appointment on Saturday night at a member's house.  We had tried calling and calling but no one answered all day or the day before, but we decided to show up anyway. No one ended up being home so we talked to the neighbor that was outside and she said she would tell them we stopped by, etc.  As we were walking away, a family across the street called us over.  We walked over and the daughter said her mom wanted to talk with us so we sat down with this sweet lady named Martha and started sharing a message.  Basically she asked us to teach her what we knew.  She is from Togo Africa and is here for about six months visiting.  She speaks very little english and mostly french.  She said she told her family she couldn't go with them to the park because she felt she needed to talk with us and knew we were servants of God.  She is the SWEETEST lady ever! we sat down and taught her the plan of salvation.  It was hard to make things super simple but she understood what we had to share.  We asked if she would like to learn more and if we could come back and she said YES!  She told us as we were talking with her "I am talking with God right now." She knew we were servants of God and said she was looking for truth.  Hiii, that's our calling! GOLDEN. So we invited her to come to church and she did! It was pretty cool though because in Gospel Doctrine class she sat next to a brother in our ward and he knew french so he ended up translating the whole class for her and also went to relief society with her to translate as well haha it was sweet! We found several other members speak french too so that was fun.  She rode home with the sister we are living with and had told her that even if she couldn't understand the language, she could feel it.  She loved it.  It was so incredible! and she is totally coming next week! :) We are really excited to work with her although the language may be a barrier but we have several willing members so thats great! It was such a neat experience. I am humbled to be a servant of God, He really is preparing hearts everywhere. I'm trying so hard to be a consecrated missionary and I get so frustrated with myself at times because I'm not perfect-ha, will i ever be?- but I know He knows my heart and the hearts of my investigators and the people here. 

This week I tried to study love and the Atonement.  I learned so much.  I can feel my own faith growing in the power of the Atonement. I need it every single day.  This gospel is simply beautiful and beautifully simple.  It's hard to teach it sometimes to people who have never heard of anything, but when the Spirit is there, it's there and makes all the difference.  I'm learning so much, I feel like I should know more than I do, but I know it'll come with experience.  I'm trying to live every minute up.  Anyway, the Lord is guiding this work. I love the members here and the people here.  Without the members in missionary work, we can never be successful as a church.  Try hard to prayerfully consider someone you think needs to hear a message of truth and hope and love.  Share your testimonies and don't be afraid to invite others to come to church or activities.  Be natural about it :) Sometimes we don't realize what we have been given as members of His church.  We have the truth that so many people are looking for.  WE have the peace and the joy and the only way to be happy.  Share it with others, even if they don't accept it. 

I'M SO EXCITED I'M GOING TO BE AN AUNT!!! :) And he/she better be named after me ;) I can't wait to meet the little tyke.  CONGRATS SHEA AND NADINE AND MAKENA!

Time is going by so quickly.  I can't believe I've been gone over a month now. AH! I am still getting use to everything and learning how to do it all..at times I get nervous and don't know if I can, but then I think of all of you family and get motivated by your examples.  If you did it, I can too! I have nothing to complain about, Heavenly Father is watching over me and this area.  I love it here, I really do :)

Tell Heidi congrats!!! That really is soo exciting! :) She'll be an awesome missionary! :) And the Wadsworths! that is so fun! :) I'm so happy they got a girl and that they surprised Patrick haha I can't believe he is home already--crazy how fast time flies! Hope all is well over there. 

I miss you all and love you a lot. Thanks for all the letters you wrote me! :) 'bout made me break down and cry right here in the library :) (notice how i said library and not liberia hehe) but i kept myself together don't worry. 

I hope you all have a great week! :) And I hope the summer is going well!
I LOVE YOU! talk to you soon,

love,
  Sister Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment