Monday, June 25, 2012

Off and running

From: Kristen Owens <kristen.owens@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Subject: Re: Off and Running


Dear Family,

Wow, another week has flown by! It's so crazy how time works--there is so little of it! There is so much to do in a day and by the end of the day you feel like you didn't get it all done! Anyway, this week was another miraculous week.  It's getting more familiar (the whole being a missionary and such), but I still have a long way to go.  There are many ups and downs each week, but once again I seem to only remember the ups at the end of the day--it's awesome!

Last Monday was a fantastic day! We had a lesson planned that ended up falling through so we rescheduled with her..and THEN the rest of the night was completely by the Spirit. We decided to stop by a less active member and in the process met this wonderful lady with whom we sat down and taught her the restoration. She accepted a Book of Mormon and a return appointment. She is from Liberia and is super sweet. That was a miracle. Then we stopped by a few other people and ended up running into a person we had met before who asked if he could come to church and where it was and to call him to set up a time to go and teach him more (the sad thing is he didn't actually show up to church, but we are still working on it :) it was just cool that the Lord placed him in our path again. We met this Indian family whom we had been trying to meet randomly walking on the street and they said they'd be interested in coming to church to see how it is, etc. SWEET! It was just an overall great day :)

Tuesday was great as well we taught a lesson to a part member family and had the whole family there.  It was a spur of the moment but hopefully we broke a few barriers and will be able to teach them more and help get them sealed in the temple eventually :) whoo whoo!

We went on exchanges again this week and I stayed in the area again--scared out of my mind! We taught a great lesson though on Thursday to a lady we met earlier last week.  I was so nervous to teach without Sister Randall and so nervous to take the lead in starting out the lesson, but I had read earlier in PMG about how we need to have faith the Spirit will tell us what we need to say.  That's really where it all starts is with faith. I had been so worried about saying the wrong thing and not saying the right thing, but really it just comes down to preparing as best you can then putting your faith in the Spirit. The Spirit came so strong in the lesson we extended the baptismal invitation and she said yes! We will be teaching her again this week and hopefully be able to help her progress. She's reading the Book of Mormon and everything and was so accepting of everything. She said she felt so light after we left and read the Book of Mormon that night.  She is so great. 

We are still trying to find people to teach through tracting, but I'm finding more and more how important the members are in missionary work.  Referrals from the members is so important.  We are struggling with working with our members, but the ward is so great and so willing to help out at any moment. We are improving slowly but surely :) I was reading in PMG last night and all the sudden it hit me--the church is organized the way it is to lift, strengthen, and build up the kingdom of God in every part of the world.  The main focus is on missionary work and helping people progress in the gospel whether that's new members, less active members, active members, investigators, etc. If anything, being out here for a month has taught me how to be a better member missionary of the Church. I love it! :)

Our district leader organized a Blitz on Saturday for us and we got 5 new potential investigators from it so that was pretty amazing--the work is picking up and hopefully we'll be able to have people progress and be baptized in the next lil' bit. super exciting stuff! :)

Sunday was ward conference and it's focus was on testimony.  It was really neat and I gained a lot of understanding from it. Our testimonies can only increase or decrease but we need the foundation first built before anything--The Savior and His Atonement, The Restoration of the Gospel, His plan for us, and eternal families have been major foundations for my own.  We have been given so many ways in which we can continually increase our testimonies--scriptures, prayer, serving, prophets, temples, church, etc. Ah, it's just all so important! i love it.

Anyway, sounds like things are going well for everyone at home and it sounds like it's gonna be a busy week! Good luck in St. George momma! :) You should send some pics of the children when you go visit them in July as well as little kenna and hads--they are the best niece's in the world and i miss them. Tell them I love them!

I thought I would leave with a quick thought from today. I was reading in Alma 53 about the stripling warriors and their faith and trust in God.  It says they were "exceedingly valiant for courage...men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted." They also "did not doubt [their] mothers knew it." Mom, I read that and thought of you.  I do not doubt one bit you know this gospel and church is true.  That brings me such comfort and increases my own faith in the truth.  I hope and pray I can be like them--true at all times with whatever thing God gives me.  Although missionary work can be scary at times and a little overwhelming, one thing I do know is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true.  This is His work.  We are on His errand therefore are entitled to His help.  That brings me so much peace and comfort.  In the Hymn "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" verses 6 and 7 hit me so strongly "He asked if I for him would die. The flesh was weak, my blood ran chill, but my free spirit cried, 'I will' Then in a moment to my view the stranger started from disguise. The tokens in his hands I knew; The Savior stood before mine eyes. He spake, and my poor name he named, 'Of me thou hast not been ashamed. These deeds shall thy memorial be, fear not, thou didst them unto me.'" Becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ is a process, but oh how wonderful and merciful He is to us all. I'm also reminded of "Come, come ye saints" when it says " why should we mourn, or think our lot is hard? Tis not so, all is right. Why should we think to earn a great reward if we now shun the fight? Gird up your loins; fresh courage take. Our God will never us forsake; and soon we'll have a tale to tell--ALL IS WELL, ALL IS WELL."

Sorry I just spilled my soul to you all...I won't mind of you just skimmed this whole letter it is really long... haha  But, everyday I see the hand of God.  We see miracles when we are diligent and obedient to Him and when we are doing our best to stay focused and listening to the Spirit.  Pray for us this week please, we have set big goals and want these people to come unto Christ.  We are expecting miracles this week in the work.  I love you all and am so grateful for your examples to me.  Keep up the good work! I am well taken care of and couldn't ask for better circumstances.  Love you!

Love,
 Sister Owens

P.s this past week as we were tracting we ran into a bunch of geese ( a flock I suppose is the right phrase) but right when we were about to walk by them a coyote came out of nowhere and chased them down! It was in the middle of a neighborhood too! it was crazy! my life flashed before me eyes and it was as close to death as I've ever been. Just kidding it wasn't that dramatic but it was still cool to watch. I think all the geese survived. Anyway, Love you! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment