Monday, October 8, 2012

Urgency

Kristen Owens
11:18 AM (54 minutes ago)

to me
Hullo Family,

The weather is getting a bit chilly.... and I "misplaced" my lighter jacket so thanks for the down comforter coat you sent! :) It's coming in handy! :) The leaves are BEAUTIFUL here! It's gorgeous!

Okay, so 18 and 19 now!!!! Whoo-whoo! I wish that revelation came two years earlier :) That is going to be so neat! I entitled this letter "Urgency" because after conference, that is exactly how I feel. The Lord needs all of us to be anxiously engaged in a good cause, to give all of His children the opportunity to accept this message. We need to all be completely immersed in the gospel and His work. That doesn't necessarily mean live a life as a missionary because that would be impossible. I think it simply means to lift where you stand. Do your duty and act. I know I have and will continue to repent of my laziness and all those things that are keeping me from being truly consecrated, dedicating my life to the Lord's service. I look at all the Apostles and the Prophet and leaders of the church who have truly given their whole lives to serving the Lord. I want to be like that! That is what this work is all about! Learning, living, and loving the Gospel. Oh boy, it gets me so excited to be a missionary. We watched General Conference at the church and members homes. The members here are so great. I was reading in the Book of Mormon about Ammon and a verse popped out at me that said, "...I desire to dwell among this people for a time; yea, and perhaps until the day I die." Yup, those are the feelings I have about Medicine Lake. I love it here. The people are so great, and the members are even better! We are really striving to build trust with them and get them more involved in missionary work. The recent converts are awesome! And we set a date with a man named....Jamal :) hehe. He is set for november 3rd! We hope all goes well. We are teaching quite a few people right now that seem sincere and promising so we are excited. The Lord is preparing people everywhere--especially Liberians ;) Oh the joy of being a missionary. I decided the week is super stressful, but by Mondays, I have forgotten all the stress and just feel happy! I think it's cuz I get to talk with you all :) "talk" meaning email. Time is going by too quickly. Urgency.

There is not much to report this week other than life is good! Missionary work is amazing! I love it here! I love my companion, my area, my ward, etc. etc. There is just some urgency to doing the Lord's work and doing it well. I am diving in this week to serving those around me. I am sick of being selfish and therefore have decided to repent and move on!

General Conference was amazing. There are always so many incites to gain. Elder Holland's talk blew my mind and I loved President Monson's as well. Sometimes I assume the life of a Prophet is easy in the sense that they are so in tune with the Spirit and direct revelation from God that He must just tell them exactly what to do and they do it--easy. False. They have to apply the principles of asking, seeking, and knocking as well plus they are in charge of preparing the world for Christ's second coming. That's a heavy burden to bear. I am so grateful for a prophet of God on the earth today with His apostles and leaders to guide us. They are men, but they are humble followers and seekers of Christ with a special calling to witness of Christ to the world. How awesome is that!?!

So, family, how are things going? Thanks Shea and Nadine for those adorable pictures and letters from your family! I hung a few pics of Hads and Makena up on my mirror to remind me to be happy :) They are the cutest girls in the world. Give them a big hug for me will you? And Carter!?! What?! That kid is so big all of a sudden! When did that happen?!? Give Him and Lucas a hug from me too. I miss you all so much! But, every Monday I am reminded how lucky I am and how blessed I am to be a member of such a great family. Then that motivates me to work even harder to help those around me so they can be sealed to their families as well! Ah! Urgency. Well, I don't remember if I was going to say anything special in this email.....other than I pray for you and I love you and hope all is well.

And can I close with my testimony? Is that lame? I just want you all to know that I know this is the true church. I know it because I have prayed and asked and seeked and knocked and I have felt the Spirit testify to me time and time again the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the fulness of the gospel with Christ at its head. I know there is a God. He is a God of miracles and love and has provided us with a plan in order for us to obtain all the happiness He has. I know central to His plan is Christ. I know each one of us are given the choice to choose eternal life or captivity and it is only by choosing Christ that we can receive never ending joy. I know the Priesthood power is on the earth and I know I can be with you forever as I live, truly live the gospel and keep my covenants. I know Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and through him the Book of Mormon was translated by the power of God. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I will never deny that witness I receive every time I read it. I know it teaches us how we can return and live with God again. I know God loves each one of us. He expects us to live what we know to be true. He expects us to keep His commandments so He can bless us. I know we all make mistakes (believe me, I know this), but I also know, Christ makes all the difference. He covers the demands of justice through His grace and mercy. I can overcome my inadequacies by relying wholly on His mercy. I promise to do my best to carry this message to the people here. Everyone deserves to know the truth and how they can truly truly truly be happy. I love this gospel. I am so grateful for a loving Savior. The Atonement covers all. I say these things, in the name of my Savior, Redeemer, and Friend, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Thanks for being examples of the believers! I love you!

Love,
  Sister Owens 

No comments:

Post a Comment