Monday, July 23, 2012

Texas Heat


Hello Family!

It's another week of talking, teaching, testifying, driving, biking, heat, sweat, wetness, and the best time of my life.  This week was pretty good.  I seem to forget what happened every time I sit down to write a letter.  Tell Nadine I'll be coming home with a little accent like hers though--sometimes I find myself saying "bag" and "flag" like a Canadian or Minnesotan and I think of her every time.  A few weeks ago it even slipped out as we were having a conversation with someone.  I said "Ooh Yeah" except I said it like a Minnesotan. My companion just looked at me and I even surprised myself! yikes!

The weather has been very moist and hot! We have been riding our bikes more this week because we are running low on miles for our car. It has been hot. You are just wet--I've seriously never sweat this bad in my life and partly because it's not all my sweat, it's mostly just the wet air (or at least that's what I like to tell myself).  But, it's been a good week as a missionary.  More awkward moments. More awesome miracles. More growing and learning how to work, be a leader, and love.  Charity is something I've been striving to focus on this week because it really is the center of the gospel.  It's a motivator.

We now have 5 people preparing for baptism in August! It's crazy! And they are all pretty solid.  We love teaching them! We stopped by the woman we had been teaching and her son was there so we talked with him and he now wants to be baptized as well with his mom on the 25th! They are both doing great and progressing.  I never knew how stressful missionary work would be with planning lessons and knowing what to teach people, but I have realized as you truly learn to love them you won't ever wonder what to say.  You talk with and teach and testify of truths you know will help them and bless their lives.  And the members play a huge role in helping investigators progress.  Be a good involved member of the church!

Time is flying by! Ah! By myself, I am the weakest of the weak, but with the Atonement of Jesus Christ, He makes me strong.  Putting in every effort, your whole heart, might, mind, and strength every day is hard to do, but as we strive to give it all we have, the Lord blesses us--even if it's just having the strength to make it through the day.  I love it here. I am so nervous to have Sister Randall leave, but once again, He knows me best, He knows what I need and I know that with Him we can accomplish this work.  It would be so much easier if we were perfect thought! ;) jk

So it sounds like the family is happy, growing, and enjoying the summer! Mom, I hope you didn't get heat stroke in Texas! It's way too hot there I think! I can't believe summer is almost over--where'd it go?! That means winter is just around the corner which also means I'll be looking like an oompa loompa real soon--attractive right? yup. 

Anyway, I don't have a ton of time, but the work is going great! The elders and sisters here are really amazing people.  I love seeing how much they trust in the Lord to accomplish this work.  It takes action on our part if we have faith and faith precedes miracles.  Being proactive as a missionary is a necessity and that is something I am working on improving. 

I just want to bear my testimony to you that I know this gospel is true.  I know it with every fiber of my being.  I know God watches over us and is very aware of us and answers our prayers if we are faithful, diligent, and patient (Alma 32).  He loves us very much and needs us to do and become.  Jesus Christ lives.  He chose to come to this earth to suffer for us so we could have a chance of returning back to our Heavenly Father and living with Him and our families for eternity in complete neverending happiness.  He is my rock and my foundation.  It is only through Him that I can amount to anything.  The Atonement is real and encompasses every single person perfectly.  It's universal, yet so personal.  Angels are watching over us and preparing hearts everywhere for the good news of the gospel.  We have help from both sides of the veil.  I have felt that so many times while being out here.  Joseph Smith was a true prophet.  The Book of Mormon is the world of God--no matter what anyone says, I know it and I can not deny it.  God loves us so much He has given us a prophet to guide us and lead us back to Christ.  He tells us truth.  I know prayer is real and powerful and I know the only way we can gain salvation is through faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.  We must access the Atonement daily.  This gospel is true!!! All Christ asks is that we come unto Him and He will heal us.  I bear my testimony of all these truths in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

I love you family.  Keep enduring to the end.  We can do it together :) I'm praying for you and love you more than words can say.

Love,
  Sister Owens


P.S. Tell Craig good luck on His tests! We have an actuary in our ward here and he loves it. YOU CAN DO IT!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment