Sunday, February 17, 2013

Muy Muy Bonita

Kristen Owens
Feb 11 (6 days ago)

to me
Hey Family,

As you can see the title of this letter is in spanish because.....I AM GOING TO BE A SPANISH MISSIONARY NOW!!! Totally kidding. My companion speaks 6 different languages and I think this past week we she used english, german, spanish, and French to speak to people! She is so awesome. I am making her teach me "I am a Child of God" in Albanian :) My only wish is to be a spanish missionary. I want to learn it so badly! Spanish people are so open to the Gospel! We had a neat experience where we were doing some finding and prayed (as usual--it's the best and always works!) we ended up only having about 30 minutes left of our night and we really wanted to teach and find new investigators. After the prayer we found a door with a picture of Christ knocking on it. A sweet Spanish woman opened the door and SIster Topi used her language skills and started talking with her. She let us in and we taught a little about the Restoration and Book of Mormon. she told us she had been worried about her teenage daughter lately and prays every night for her. We told her about the FTSOY and bore testimony of the amazing blessings of the gospel. We scheduled a return appointment and gave the referral to the spanish sisters :) She was the kindest lady and apparently in the closing prayer she thanked (in spanish) Heavenly Father for us knocking on her door and placing us in her path. She was so prepared and ready. And she has the CUTEST children in the world. That family is going to be an eternal one for sure. I love these miracles that happen all the time because it always renews a sense of purpose and faith. There are thousands out there ready to receive this message. I am constantly amazed. The Lord is aware of us.

Something I have been thinking as of late is how our experiences prepare us for more experiences. Our life is like a scaffold (if that is the right word). Our experiences build on each other and the people that are placed in our lives are for a reason. Each companion has come to me and taught me an important lesson at the exact time I needed it. The experiences have been so great. The people we meet each day have taught me a lot as well. I have had awesome experiences and not so awesome experiences, but I have learned from them. It's great.

Anyway, enough about me! I want to tell you about the amazing people we are teaching! We set a date for March 9th for one of our investigators. We had an awesome lesson with him. Our joint teacher and the spirit did all the work, we just sat, listened, bore testimony, and bam! In our last lesson with him we had planned on teaching the Plan of Salvation and focusing on the Atonement. Our joint teacher did an exceptional job talking about repentance and the Atonement and we decided to bring up baptism again. We read from Alma 7: 14-16 and talked about becoming new in Christ. He offers us a second chance, etc. Then Tim looked at us and said, "I've been thinking about March 9th and I think I want to do it." He said the fact it even crossed his mind was an indication to him of what he needs to do. I feel like we did nothing and the Spirit and our joint teacher did everything :) He is recognizing as he prays he is receiving answers. It's neat. We just need to teach him the importance of the commandments and he should be ready by then. We are really excited.He's been to church 5 times and loves it. He brought his 8 year old son twice. From the first time we met him to now, there is a huge difference in his eyes/countenance. He is looking brighter and is seeing the light! I love it! We have really focused on the Atonement with him because he has been through a lot and struggles with depression. But, his faith is increasing and he is recognizing the spirit. We are excited for him.

As for our other investigator (young man Tommy...) we are still trying to pin a date. He is patiently waiting for his older brother to prepare himself to baptize him. Tommy is awesome. He reads every day and sees a difference. We are excited for him :)

Other investigators are doing fairly well. We did a church tour with a couple we have been teaching and then they didn't come to church :( but, we are seeing them tonight and are really having a powerful commitment lesson :) BE LOVINGLY BOLD :) They need to get married and it is a hard thing for them to think about financially.... One of our other investigators has fallen off the face of the earth, we have not seen him in two weeks! we've stopped by, called, texted, had our fellowshipper call.... we're getting nervous... but, it will all work out. He was doing fairly well too! I'm trying to think of other investigators.....no one else is really progressing besides Tommy and the first man we talked about. But, I know this week is going to be a good one! We have New Missionary Training and Zone Conference and we are focusing on our purpose as missionaries! We are really striving to find new investigators and find the elect--those who will be committed and are searching for the truth :)
I read in PMG this morning where it says, "Nothing happens in Missionary work until you find people to teach" or something like that. How true it is :) we need to exert all our efforts to accomplish our goals this week and really strive to work effectively with members and investigators. My goal this week is to go to bed completely exhausted each night (which is usually the case, but even more so than I am now!) because I've exerted all my energies to complete the goals we set with the Lord!

Anyway, this is the Lord's work. My purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Or in other words, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man :) I know there is no other name nor any other way to gain salvation save in and through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I know as we live the first principles and ordinances of the gospel and continue to make covenants, we can receive "eternal bliss" and the "words of Christ" will "carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise." Alma 37:44-45 don't overlook the easiness of the way. Just "Look and Live" :) I love you my wonderful family :) hope you all have a great week!

Love,
  Sister Owens


NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

No comments:

Post a Comment